This course is designed to familiarize the student with functions of the HMC using lecture and lab exercises.
This is an intermediate course for IBM, IBM Business Partners, and customers that have a need for HMC operations and management.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Install an HMC and go through the setup wizard
- Connect the HMC to a managed system
- Create and manage partitions manually or with a .sysplan
- Manage the HMC including updating code for the HMC and firmware in the managed system
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Hardware Management Console
- Unit 2: Setting up and configuring the HMC
- Exercise 1: eLab access, installation, and navigation
- Unit 3: System management
- Exercise 2: Managed server tasks and navigation
- Unit 4: System plans
- Exercise 3: Working with system plans
- Unit 5: HMC management
- Exercise 4: HMC management
- Unit 6: Service management
- Unit 7: Updates to the HMC and firmware
- Exercise 5: Fixes
- Unit 8: Advanced functions for the HMC
- Exercise 6: Secure Shell, remote 5250, and ASM
- Exercise 7: Create a simple LPAR and partition tasks
- Unit 9: New enhancements